Penne a la Vodka
One of my favorite comfort foods is pasta (with or without meat) — Pasta plain with butter and shaved romano. Pasta with a red, creamy, cheesy sauce. Pasta with fresh basil, tomatoes and a dab of olive oil…and the list goes on and on.
I love a store that’s near our house – Trader Joe’s. It has wonderful gourmet foods, prepared items and little treasures for reasonable prices.
After a busy day at work, I enjoy coming home preparing a delicious meal for the family without having to slave over a stove for hours.
Here’s a meal that’s easy to prepare that the entire family is sure to enjoy!
- Ingredients/Shopping List from Trader Joe’s:
- If you do not live near a Trader Joe’s visit your favorite grocery!
- Penne Pasta to serve 4
- Trader Joe’s frozen meatballs (Serving size 4-8 meatballs, defrosted. If you do not live near a Trader Joe’s try my Emma’s meatball recipe.
- 3 chicken pesto sausages, sliced (or another of your choice)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ c. fresh garlic, diced
- ¼ c. capers (in vinegar)
- 1-16 oz. jar Trader Joe’s Organic Vodka Sauce* (or see below)
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- ¼ c. chardonnay
- Pasta Sauce Alla Vodka
- If you don't have a Trader Joe's near you, follow this recipe for the Pasta Sauce:
- 1-16 oz. jar of your favorite tomato-based Pasta sauce
- ½ block of creamy goat cheese
- ¼ cup of your favorite Vodka
- garlic salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot on the stove top, boil water for penne. Once water comes to a boil, add in desired amount of penne (1 c. uncooked penne per person) and simmer until done to your liking.
- Sauté chopped onions and garlic in olive oil on the stove top (medium heat) until slightly brown.
- Add in sliced sausages and defrosted meatballs.
- Add in ¼ cup of wine.
- Let sausage and meatball mixture cook until brown, turning occasionally.
- In another pot on the stove, pour the Vodka sauce into the pan, adding in several tablespoons of capers. Let the mixture come to a boil, then simmer over low heat.
- When the onion, garlic, meatball and sausage mixture is done, add to the Vodka sauce, and continue to simmer until the penne is cooked.
- To make your own Pasta Sauce, on a pot over medium heat on the stovetop, heat a jar of your favorite pasta sauce, add in goat cheese and vodka. Stir. Add in garlic salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately over penne!
Make every meal and experience!
©2006 – Maryann Ridini Spencer Google+