Years ago, I discovered the delicious flavor of chocolate and orange mixed together. I was about to catch a flight from London Heathrow Airport to New York. At a newsstand, I picked up something I had never seen in the States — Terry’s Chocolate Orange Ball. It was LOVE at first bite! I am happy to say that I can now find Terry’s Chocolate Orange Ball at various stores near where I live. However, this magnificent taste was the inspiration for this Chocolate Orange Cake!
- 1¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ sticks soft unsalted butter or ¾ c. coconut oil
- 1¼ c. sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ c. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 T. orange zest
- GLAZE TOPPING
- ¾ c. Triple Sec (orange flavored liqueur)
- ¼ c. Confectioner’s sugar
- 3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Coconut oil (to grease cake pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake pan with coconut oil and dust with 2 T. flour.
- In a bowl, add in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl and cream with an electric mixer. Scrape sides to make sure all the batter is mixed well.
- One at a time, add in eggs to the butter and sugar batter. Mix well after each egg addition.
- Add in the vanilla, orange juice and orange zest.
- With the electric mixer on low speed, add in half of the flour mixture, mix, and add in the remainder of the flour and mix.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for approximately 45-55 minutes.
- Cake will be golden.
- Insert a toothpick into the center and if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Once cake is cool, invert onto a pretty plate.
- To make the topping, in a bowl, add in cocoa powder, Confectioner’s sugar and liqueur to taste. Beat with the electric mixer.
- Pour the glaze over the cake, letting it sink into the cake and drip down the sides.
©2013 — Maryann Ridini Spencer
LIKE Simply Delicious Living with Maryann® on Facebook, CLICK HERE.
SIGN UP for our FREE monthly newsletter – lots of great articles, cooking videos, decorating tips and body•mind•spirit inspirations!, CLICK HERE.
WATCH US on YouTube on your computer, on your mobile device or iphone at SimplyDelishLiving Channel (and/or Maryann Ridini Spencer)
WATCH Simply Delicious Living with Maryann® on PBS Television in Southern California and in First Run Television Syndication. For more information, visit: SimplyDeliciousLiving.TV and RidiniEntertainment.comGoogle+