Blueberry Spelt Muffins
I recently fell in love with the Blueberry Muffins made with spelt flour that I purchased at Whole Foods. However, because the muffins are not always available in the store, I came up with my own version of this delectable muffin to make and enjoy when ever a craving hits!
- 4 T. coconut oil (plus more to grease the cookie pan)
- ⅔ c. organic sugar
- ⅓ c. unsweetened applesauce or my Chunky Applesauce (puréed)
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 c. spelt flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 1 T. orange zest
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 c. frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar.
- Stir in applesauce, eggs, juice, and vanilla and lemon extracts.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, lemon and orange zest and sea salt.
- Stir flour mixture into the butter and egg mixture.
- Gently stir in the 2 heaping cups of frozen blueberries.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake muffins for approximately 30 minutes. Test muffin readiness by placing a toothpick in the center of the muffin. If toothpick comes out clean, muffins are done. (Muffins will be moist).