Kale, Spinach and Pesto Strata
Author: Maryann Ridini Spencer
- 1 Ciabatta bread loaf slices, cut into ½” width slices
- 3 c. kale
- 3 c. spinach
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 large eggs
- ¾ c. heavy cream
- 1. c. coconut milk
- 2 tsp. Dijon
- garlic salt and pepper
- 2 c. shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- ½ c. my Simply Pesto Recipe
- extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare my Simply Pesto Recipe.
- Set pesto aside.
- In a skillet on the stove top over medium heat, drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the bottom of the skillet.
- Add diced onions and garlic. Sauté mixture until slightly golden.
- Add in kale and spinach. Cook until greens are wilted.
- Grease a 7 by 11 inch baking dish.
- Cover the dish with the Ciabatta slices making an even layer.
- Evenly spread the spinach and kale mixture over the bread base.
- Place large dollops of pesto evenly over the spinach and kale mixture.
- Gently spread pesto with a knife.
- Sprinkle shredded Jarlsberg over the top of the strata.
- Top dish with another layer of bread.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cream, Dijon and sprinkle of garlic salt and pepper. Beat until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture over the dish. Using a spatula, press down on the bread so that the egg mixture will seep into the dish.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Once the oven is preheated, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the dish.
- Bake strata for about 45-50 minutes until golden. Dish will be puffy. Let dish cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately afterwards and/or you can also refrigerate this dish and serve the next day.
Jarlsberg cheese is sprinkled all over the top of the kale and spinach.