I first had a panini, and Italian sandwich, when I visited Milan a number of years ago working at a film festival. Panini’s are made with anything other than sliced bread (such as ciabatta, rosetta and baguette). Here’s one I make using my panini press (a Cuisinart Griller), that is sure to become a family favorite. When I make this recipe, I always have left over pesto that I serve with pasta the next day!
- 2 generous slices of Mozzarella cheese
- 2 T. fresh pesto (SEARCH: Pesto at SimplyDeliciousLiving.com)
- 3 basil leaves
- 1 T. sundried tomatoes
- Panini bread or crusty artisan rustic roll
- Turn on your Cuisinart Griddler to Grill•Panini.
- Cut the bread in half.
- Lightly oil the bread on the outside.
- Place a dollop of pesto on both sides of the sandwich and spread.
- Place the Mozzarella cheese on one side of the bread.
- Place fresh basil leaves on top of the cheese, place sundried tomatoes on top of the basil.
- Close the sandwich and place on the griddler for approximately 5 minutes, or until nice and crispy.
- Serve immediately with an extra dollop of fresh pesto and green salad and/or crudité.
©2013 — Maryann Ridini Spencer