Growing up I loved to make my parents and siblings (4 brothers, 1 sister) breakfast. On holidays, it was also a special treat for my mother to have someone help her in the kitchen! Here’s a yummy recipe for a delicious, moist muffin that goes great with an omelette or scrambled eggs! Enjoy it alone or topped with honey butter.
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ⅔ c. sugar
- 1 c. pineapple chunks (fresh or canned), drained
- 1 c. applesauce with ⅓ c. peeled, diced apples OR try my Chunky Applesauce recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅓ c. coconut oil (if coconut oil is solid, heat for a minute until it is liquid)
- ⅔ c. pecan or walnut pieces
- 1 tsp. lemon extract (optional, although I like to add it in to boost flavor!)
- Honey Butter to spread on muffins
- 4 T. butter
- 3 T. honey
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Grease muffin cup tray with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, pecans, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin spice.
- In another large bowl, stir together the coconut oil, egg, applesauce (with apple chunks) and pineapple.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry flour mixture.
- Mix until the batter with an electric mixer until it is blended. Use a spatula to scrap the sides of the bowl. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon batter into the muffin cups filling to the rims.
- Bake 30 minutes until the muffins are golden.
- After muffins have baked 30 minutes, insert a toothpick into the center of one or two muffins; make sure the toothpick comes out clean to indicate the muffins are properly cooked.
- To make Honey Butter:
- Take 2-4 T. butter in a small bowl at room temperature. The butter should be soft. Drizzle honey into the butter (to taste) and stir. Serve muffins with honey butter.
©2013 — Maryann Ridini Spencer
Watch Simply Delicious Living with Maryann® on PBS Television in Southern California and in First Run Television Syndication. For more information, visit: SimplyDeliciousLiving.TV and RidiniEntertainment.com