When it rains it drains into our storm drain system and out into our waterways and ocean. Here are five simple reminders to prevent stormwater pollution:
- Check your vehicles for leaks and put yourself on a regular maintenance schedule to be proactive before there’s an issue.
- Take your car to a commercial car wash, they have requirements to filter and recycle the water.
- Recycle your used motor oil. Call (805) 652-4525 for more information on locations of Certified Oil Recycling Centers (https://www.cityofventura.ca.gov/274/Motor-Oil).
- Compost yard and grass clippings making sure they don’t reach the curb or street where they may reach the storm drain system.
- If you must use yard fertilizers and pesticides, opt for less toxic choices and be sure to read the label and apply accordingly. Avoid applying before any rain storm.
-This article by Maryann Ridini Spencer also appears in Sustainable Ventura News.Google+