Quick and Easy Marinara Sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 –5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (28 or 32 ounce) cans crushed or diced tomatoes
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ c. shaved Parmesan cheese
- ¼ c. shaved Romano cheese
- 1 tsp. Italian seasonings blend
- 2 T. brown sugar
- ½ c. red wine
- 1 T. garlic powder
- garlic salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T. capers (optional)
- In a skillet on the stovetop, heat olive oil and add onions and garlic. Sauté for approximately 8–10 minutes until onions are soft.
- In a large pot on the stovetop, pour in tomatoes.
- Add in basil, the cooked onions and garlic, cheeses, Italian seasonings, brown sugar, and red wine. Stir.
- Add in garlic salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Whatever sauce you don’t use can be stored away in the frig for another meal and/or place in a tupperware dish and freeze.
©2013 — Maryann Ridini Spencer
LIKE Simply Delicious Living with Maryann® on Facebook, CLICK HERE.
Watch Simply Delicious Living with Maryann® on PBS Television in Southern California and in First Run Television Syndication. For more information, visit: SimplyDeliciousLiving.TV and RidiniEntertainment.com