When I’m craving comfort food – and I want something delicious, but that something that won’t make me feel guilty, I cook up this fish taco recipe. It’s an easy-to-make meal, made with fresh and natural ingredients that you can whip up in under 20 minutes! Great for Cinco de Mayo (Sunday, May 5) and every day!
- 2 tilapia fillets
- ½ package of McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix to taste (For a gluten-free option do not use seasoning mix. (Use only a recipe of: Red Chili Pepper flakes, a dash of paprika, a dash of onion powder, garlic salt and pepper to taste).
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 c. shredded lettuce (or shredded cabbage)
- garlic salt and pepper to taste
- coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 corn tortillas
- Maryann’s Chunky Guacamole recipe
- In a skillet on the stove top, cook tilapia fillets in coconut oil about 5-8 minutes until done.
- Remove fish from skillet and place in a large bowl.
- Break apart the fillets with a fork so that the fish is in tiny chunks. Set aside. Clean the skillet.
- Place skillet on the stovetop with 1 T. coconut oil.
- Add in onion, garlic, peppers, garlic salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until onions and peppers are soft and slightly golden.
- While onion and pepper mixture is cooking, stir occasionally.
- Shred cheddar cheese and place on a large dish.
- Dice tomatoes and place on the dish next to the cheese.
- Shred lettuce and place next to lettuce and cheese.
- When onion and pepper mixture is cooked, put mixture into a pretty bowl by itself. Serve with warm corn tortillas and build your own tacos! Get my Chunky Guacamole recipe!
©2013 — Maryann Ridini Spencer
For a pretty Cinco de Mayo table, try something like this:
•Mix and match plates (biege with orange, yellow, green or red).
•Pair place settings with green, gold or red goblets or glasses.
•For a fun place setting visit your local nursery and put some succulents together with cactus. At Michael’s I found a faux flower that I placed in the middle of this centerpiece!
Have fun and GET CREATIVE. ENJOY!
Watch Simply Delicious Living with Maryann® on PBS Television in Southern California and in First Run Television Syndication. For more information, visit: SimplyDeliciousLiving.TV and RidiniEntertainment.com